The company: KSAT12 is a #1 ABC affiliate and Graham Media Group station with strong community ties and top ratings. We are known for our aggressive reporting style and our ability to embrace new digital technologies.
Le Poste: Assignment editor (weekends)
KSAT12 News is looking for a Assignment editor to join our top notch team. We are looking for someone who lives for breaking news and weather, has exceptional news judgment, is highly organized, is an effective communicator, is efficient and is an excellent planner. The right person for this role can juggle multiple responsibilities and multiple platforms at once – from developing the company story to listening to scanners and using social media to listen to the latest news and developing news, managing logistics for multiple field teams. The Assignments Editor will work with newsroom management, including the Assignments Manager, Digital Leads, Executive Producers and News Director to execute on short and long term projects. You will need to be able to see the big picture and understand the content requirements of a cross-platform newsroom, while developing, researching, producing and writing articles from the assignment desk.
● Maintain the editorial direction set by the director of information.
● Stay up to date with current events: local, regional, national and global happenings, as well as a working knowledge of people, places and history.
● Work in tandem with all newsroom managers and staff members to develop daily news coverage plans.
● Organize news-related information needed to make smart day-to-day and long-term editorial decisions for our operations.
● Listen to scanners, monitor social media channels, perform rhythm tests, identify and gather accurate information from various information sources.
● Understand and use internet research and social media tools to contribute content to all KSAT12 platforms – TV, Web, Social.
● Ability to write, edit and publish content to station website and social media platforms as required.
● Organize information so that reporters, photographers, producers, presenters, digital journalists and news managers can quickly use this information in their assignments.
● Maintain strong interpersonal and communication skills in a competitive and high pressure environment.
● Maintain awareness of media law, including new interpretations of defamation and the right to privacy.
● Ability to remain calm under pressure and manage deadlines.
● Work flexible hours which may include nights, mornings, weekends and holidays.
● Working knowledge of San Antonio and the South Texas area is a plus.
● Prefer candidates with a minimum of 2 years experience in a commercial newsroom.
● College degree in Journalism/Communications or similar field of study preferred.
● Good judgment on news required, passion for breaking news essential.
● Computer literacy, including newsroom computer systems; Knowledge of ENPS is a plus.
● Excellent interpersonal, communication and time management skills required.
● Working knowledge of contemporary television and digital news production techniques, including the capabilities of SNG/DSNG trucks, backpack newsgathering and helicopters.
As a condition of employment, GMG requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated against coronavirus prior to the first day of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law, unless you qualify for medical or religious accommodation, or otherwise permitted by law. .
Any offer of employment is conditional on passing a pre-employment drug screen, background check, employment/education verification and reference check.
Send your current philosophy and resume to:
Bernice Kearney, News Director. 1408 North St. Mary’s
San Antonio, Texas 78215
No phone calls, please.
KSAT) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In addition to complying with federal law requirements, KSAT will comply with applicable state and local laws prohibiting discrimination in employment.
Copyright 2022 by KSAT – All rights reserved.