If you’re a new college student, chances are you don’t know how to write an effective essay without making rookie mistakes.
Psychology is a difficult subject; it is constantly evolving and attracting more and more attention day by day. Writing a research paper in psychology is a demanding task. However, to make it easier for you, we’ve compiled an Essay Writing Guide for Psychology Students that will help you succeed on your next writing project.
General Tips for Writing
1. Choose an essay topic
Before you learn how to write a psychology research article, you must first choose a topic to write about. It is best to select a topic that you particularly like.
If you are unsure about the topic, here is a list of the best argumentative psychology essay topics to choose from:
Example of psychology topics:
Â· The Impact of Recreational Drugs on Bipolar Personality Disorder: Myth or Reality?
Â· What affects personality more: experience or genetics?
Â· How do certain foods influence behavior?
Â· Do mental illnesses negatively impact relationships?
Â· To what extent does mental illness contribute to violence in our society?
While you are free to choose from our list of the best argumentative topics in psychology, it is best to go with a topic that you are personally supportive of.
2. Structure and general plan of the test
Before writing, you need to decide on a structure to follow. Start by making a plan. First, decide how many paragraphs you want to include based on the number of ideas or arguments in your essay. Next, make a list of topics you want to include. Finally, decide how you want to structure your introduction and conclusion. Your writing should be consistent; try to relate each new sentence to the previous one.
3. Support the arguments with evidence
All of your arguments must be supported by facts. Presenting relevant evidence will help strengthen your case.
You can present verified statistics, studies, and cite valid medical journals as evidence. There are many online resources that you can use for this; StudyMoose, PSYCHNET, and PSYCInfo are great sources of information. These online platforms are supported by most universities and can help you find examples of useful psychology articles to cite as references.
4. Evaluate your arguments
This is where your critical thinking skills come in; be sure to carefully assess and analyze every piece of evidence you provide to support or deny an argument or claim. You should end each argument with a conclusive statement that reflects your personal understanding of the topic at hand.
Writing in Psychology: Psychology Essay Format
Now that you understand the basics associated with writing a psychology research paper, here’s how to write a psychology essay:
1. Start with a compelling introduction: Your introduction should introduce the topic and make it easy for your reader to get to the point at hand. Try to provide one or two simple facts on the topic and follow the position your article will take on the central theme. Also include a thesis statement in your introduction.
2. Body: Body paragraphs should dissect the central argument into smaller subsections, which will then be explored individually. Your body’s paragraphs should provide valuable information on the topic, including deductive reasoning and evidence-based analysis.
3. Conclusion: Your conclusion should summarize the overall argument and highlight your position on the subject. After reviewing the conclusion, your reader shouldn’t be left with several unanswered questions. If they are, it means that the paragraphs in your body did not sufficiently explain the topic.
Editing your essay
One of the most important parts of writing a professional essay or research essay is editing your work. Editing includes reviewing the sources of evidence cited and ensuring that they are both recent and not contradictory with any of the arguments included in your essay. It also includes checking for spelling and grammar errors. For this you can use an online platform like Grammarly or Hemingway App. These websites will help you check all your work for free and point out ways to improve your essay.
Writing a research article in psychology is not easy, but it is not impossible either. To make it easier for you, keep the tips mentioned above in mind when writing.