“Petra’s aesthetic helped define film photography for this generation,” said David Roger, founder and CEO of MasterClass. “During her session, she offers exclusive insight into her style, approach and expertise, helping members learn how they can creatively express themselves through film photography.”
During her session, Petra will explain how to use camera settings, lighting and composition, and encourage members to create a series of meaningful works that communicate their vision. The session is broken down into five sections:
- Preparing for inspiration: Collins will share her photography journey to motivate members to grab a camera and start capturing what they love. For starters, she’ll provide her starter kit recommendations, including must-haves like a manual single-lens reflex camera, ISO 400 film, and a 50mm lens. She will also highlight economical lighting options such as flashlights, fluorescent lights, and a metallic gift bag as a bounce or a sandwich bag as a lens filter.
- Understanding your camera and lighting techniques: Collins will explain how camera settings affect exposure and what settings to use when shooting in different scenarios. Members will shoot at least two rolls of film using both natural light and from lighting.
- Portraits and understanding of your subject: Joined by her sister, Anna, in this lesson, Collins will demonstrate the importance of connecting and creating intimacy with your subject to capture a revealing portrait.
- Creating your series: Drawing on all of the technical and creative skills taught throughout the session, Collins will offer an intimate look at his past works to illustrate how to create a series of photographs that communicate a larger vision.
- Keep experimenting: Members will reflect on all they have accomplished and hear Collins’ advice on how they can continue to grow through photography.
“Photography is a powerful way to move a conversation forward because you have the ability to create an image that has never been seen before,” Collins said. “In my session, I want to empower members to think about what they want to see and teach them how to capture images that resonate with the world around them.”
Although she was only 15 when she launched her career, Collins quickly became one of the most defining artists of her generation in photography, fashion, film and music. . She has published six photo books, including Fairy tales with Rizzoli and Petra Collins: Passage to adulthood with Penguin Random House and has photographed print advertisements for mainstream brands such as Gucci, MAC, Apple and Adidas. Beyond photography, Collins has shot music videos for major artists, including Cardi B and Carly Rae Jepsenand is currently directing his own feature film with Selena Gomez.
Embed and watch the trailer here: https://youtu.be/B5trIZmvT2Q
Download the images here: https://brandfolder.com/s/nz5tm4xb2sngptw7mmvkcqvk
Credit: Courtesy of MasterClass
ABOUT THE MASTERCLASS:
MasterClass is the streaming platform where the world’s best come together so anyone, anywhere can access and be inspired by their knowledge and stories. With an annual membership, members enjoy unprecedented access to over 150 instructors and courses in a wide variety of areas including arts and entertainment, business, design and style, sports and games, writing and more. Enter Nas’ recording studio, by Gordon Ramsay kitchen and go behind the big screen with james cameron. Design your career with Elaine Welterothget ready to win with Lewis Hamiltonperfect your pitch with Shonda Rhimes and discover your inner negotiator with Chris Voss. Each class includes approximately 20 video lessons, at an average of 10 minutes per lesson. You can learn and discover at the pace that best suits your lifestyle, in bite-sized or single bites, on mobile, tablet, desktop, Android™ TV, Amazon Fire TV, and Roku® players and devices. Cinematic visuals and close-up demonstrations make you feel like you’re one-on-one with the instructors, while downloadable lesson guides help reinforce your learning. For those who seek to learn by doing, Sessions by MasterClass offers a structured 30-day program where members can roll up their sleeves, learn practical and useful skills through step-by-step guidance from world-class instructors and an active community of peers. With Masterclass at workcompanies can keep their employees engaged and boost morale and motivation with immersive, short lessons from the world’s best.
Follow Petra Collins:
Tawnya BearMaster class
SOURCE Master Class